WhatsApp is testing a new way to let you add new contacts on the world’s largest instant messaging service. With the latest beta version on both Android and iOS, users can now add new contacts by simply scanning QR codes – something we’ve now become quite used to.
While this might seem like a trivial addition, it’s actually quite useful. Until now, it’s been quite a process to add new contacts on WhatsApp. Users were required to add the number to the phonebook first and then sync the WhatsApp contact list before being able to send a message.
The only way you could text on WhatsApp without adding a new number is if someone shared a WhatsApp link (with their number embedded in it) or a contact card with you. Now, with QR codes, users will simply be able to scan a QR code and get going. Although, this won’t come as handy when you’re not sharing or receiving the contact online.
To make sure that your QR code isn’t forwarded ahead, you can also choose to reset your QR code. This will render your previous QR code unusable and no one would be able to add you using that QR code.
How to add or share contacts via QR codes on WhatsApp?
- Currently, the feature is only available on WhatsApp beta for Android & iOS. If you’re already a beta user, update your application to the latest version.
- Now head to settings on the application.
- Next to your account name, would be a QR code icon.
- Tap on the icon and now you can easily share your own QR code or scan someone else’s QR code and add them on your contact list.
- You could also scan a QR code from an image in the gallery.
At the time of writing, there’s no word on when we might see this new feature roll out to the stable channel. But it shouldn’t be too long. If you can’t wait to try this out for whatever reason, you can sign up for the beta version on Android. Unfortunately, if you’re using iOS, it seems like WhatsApp isn’t accepting any beta applications at the moment.